Sunday, September 3, 2017

Sets in My Collection: 1987 Fleer Limited Edition Baseball Superstars (Floyd Bannister, Jim Presley, Gary Ward)

1987 Fleer Limited Edition Baseball Superstars box
I've said before that I bought a lot of these boxed sets. I think I really would buy any and all of them that I came across.  There were many of these at the time, mostly affiliated with certain stores (like K-Mart, Revco, or Kay-Bee), I think, but this one doesn't have a clear retailer associated with it.  I suspect the words "Limited Edition" here were totally meaningless.  Most of the players included are superstars, at least; that's a main criticism of these boxed sets, that they always feature the same few players.

I'll focus attention, then, on a few players whose inclusion in sets like this is a bit less common, and who are not necessarily superstars.  First up, Floyd Bannister, pitcher for the White Sox, pictured in that classic White Sox uniform.
Floyd Bannister 1987 Fleer Limited Edition Baseball Superstars card.

Bannister had a 15-year career going 134-143, with a 4.06 ERA. In 1986, he was 10-14 with a 3.54 ERA.

Next, we have Jim Presley, third baseman for the Mariners, pictured in an action shot fielding a ball.
1987 Fleer Limited Edition Baseball Superstars Jim Presley card.

Presley had a 8-year career with a .247 batting average, hitting 135 home runs and 495 RBIs. In 1986, he hit 107 RBI, was an All-Star, and finished 21st in MVP voting.

I'll close this out with Gary Ward, outfielder for the Rangers, who frankly looks a little skeptical as to his inclusion here.
1987 Fleer Limited Edition Baseball Superstars Gary Ward card.

Ward had a 12-year career, batting .276 with 130 home runs and 597 RBI. In 1986, he hit .316.

No comments:

Post a Comment