Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Kellogg's cards originally in my collection

As I say many times, I just returned (this summer) to my collection, for the first time since 1994.  Since returning, I've acquired a number of cards, and some of my favorites of these are some of the Kellogg's cards.  In this post, I want to highlight the small number of Kellogg's cards I originally had in my collection.
1981 Kellogg's Tug McGraw.
Tug McGraw was the closer for the 1980 World Champion Philadelphia Phillies, and was a beloved fixture in Philadelphia for many years after (until his death from brain cancer).  McGraw is also known for being part of the Miracle Mets, and for being Tim McGraw's father.
1976 Kellogg's Jim Palmer.
On the other side of my hometown of Newark, DE was Orioles country (we were just about halfway between Philadelphia and Baltimore).  I don't have many memories of Palmer, but he was part of three Orioles World Series winners, and a few Orioles World Series losers which were still great teams.
1980 Kellogg's Bob Bailor.
I never heard of Bob Bailor aside from this card, so I had to look him up.  He was the first player the Blue Jays selected in their expansion draft, and second player overall in that year's expansion draft (the Mariners selected Ruppert Jones as first overall).  He went on to be a coach with the Jays for their two World Series wins, 1992 and 1993.
1992 Kellogg's Bill Madlock (in package).
Then I have some Kellogg's cards which I pulled from cereal boxes myself in the early 90s.  This is a 1992 Bill Madlock, still in its plastic wrapper.  Madlock last played with the Dodgers in 1987, so I guess the card is of the nostalgic variety.
1992 Kellogg's Dan Quisenberry.
I also have this Dan Quisenberry, also in its package.  By 1992, I was still collecting baseball cards, but my focus had really shifted to comic books.  I'm sure that's why I was able to resist opening the packages on these.  Quisenberry retired after the 1990 season, and had last played with the Royals in 1988.  He was a five-time AL saves leader, three-time All-Star, and part of the pennant-winning 1980 team and World Series-winning 1985 team, and is in the Royals Hall of Fame.
1991 Kellogg's Ralph Kiner.
The last Kellogg's card from my original period of collecting is this Ralph Kiner.  It's from 1991, and the theme then was "Baseball Greats," making the nostalgic bent more clear than the 1992 "All Star" designation on the Madlock and Quisenberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment