Sunday, August 5, 2018

Recent Acquisition: Barry Latman, 1962 (or 1963) Jay Publishing Cleveland Indians

Now that I'm buying cards again, I'm finding that I am enjoying the occasional freebie that sellers throw in with whatever I bought on eBay.  I bought some 1984 and 1985 Topps Supers recently, and will post them before long.  But a real oddball was included along with the cards I bought, and I wanted to feature it in a quick post.
Barry Latman.
This is more of a photo than a baseball card, but it shows up in the Trading Card Database.  It's not too hard to track down, either, since Barry Latman only has 49 total cards to choose from.  The database has it down as part of the 1962 Jay Publishing Cleveland Indians, which judging by this one, was a set of 12 unnumbered black-and-white 5x7 publicity photos of the Indians.  Or 1963; Jay Publishing used the same picture for both, so I guess it could be either.  I'm not familiar with many of the players, but I do see that Tito Francona, father of Terry, current manager of the Indians, is one of them.  Barry Latman pitched in the majors from 1957 through 1967 for the White Sox, Indians, Angels, and Astros, primarily as a starter, putting together a record of 59-68 with a 3.91 ERA and 16 saves.

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment