Saturday, January 12, 2019

My Slurpee discs: 1992

I showed half my Slurpee discs the other day; all of the Slurpee discs I have, I pulled from the bottom of Slurpee cups in the 80s and 90s.  The ones I showed the other day were two from 1985, one from 1986, and two from 1991.  Then I have six from 1992.  Why do I have more from 1992?  I was able to drive.  I turned 16 at the end of 1991, and I didn't get my license for a few more months, so it wasn't until 1992 that I could drive on my own.  I appear to have availed myself of the opportunity to get a Slurpee at least 6 times that year.  Probably more, but they didn't always have the baseball discs on the bottom of the cups.
Roberto Alomar.
Roberto Alomar disc back.
The early ones, like the 1985 and 1986 that I showed in the last post on these, didn't have any kind of maker's mark on them.  The 1991 and 1992, though, were marked with the Score brand on back.  I don't think that I connected back then that Score and Sportflics were the same company, but it makes sense in hindsight, with the magic motion trivia inserts and all.
Cecil Fielder.
Cecil Fielder disc back.
I remember being taken by surprise by Cecil Fielder's stardom.  I was over my cousin's house one day, and he collected cards too.  He asked me if I had any Cecil Fielder cards, and I had never heard of Cecil Fielder, but I said that I was sure I did.  I mean, if you buy wax boxes of the current product, then you had cards of everyone.  So when I got home I went and looked, and sure enough I had some Cecil Fielder cards here and there.  That must have been in early 1990, since that was Fielder's breakout home run year, and I must have not been paying much attention to the AL stats at that point, and missed Fielder's rise.
Barry Larkin.
Ozzie Smith.
Then we have two National League Hall of Fame shortstops, Barry Larkin and Ozzie Smith.  I have a lot of great cards of Smith, and always enjoyed watching him play.  Barry Larkin is one of the many great rookie cards in the 1987 Topps set, and I have several of it.  Tomorrow's post will be of the 1990 Reds destroying the A's in the 1990 World Series, which Larkin played a big role in, hitting .353 in the series.
Robin Yount.
Roger Clemens.
Then we have two AL stars.  Robin Yount was near the end of his career, which finished up after the 1993 season, and had fairly recently won the AL MVP in 1989.  Yount's 3,000th hit came on September 9, 1992.  Then we have Roger Clemens, whose likeness must be in absolutely every set of the era (along with Don Mattingly).  I don't like Clemens, and won't say much about him.  I include him here for completeness, since I'm showing all of my Slurpee discs.

Thanks for reading!  Tomorrow's post, as I alluded to above, is of the 1991 Fleer World Series set (of the 1990 World Series).

No comments:

Post a Comment