Monday, August 28, 2017

From My Collection: 1972 Topps Traded Frank Robinson

Back in the day, I regularly checked the classifieds for yard sales and other ads which mentioned baseball cards.  At one point an ad showed up for a new consignment shop in town, and the ad did include baseball cards in a list of what they had to offer. Of course I went to check it out. This was the late 80s/early 90s, and I think people who didn't necessarily know much about baseball or cards were getting in on the action. When I asked to see the baseball cards in the shop, the owner brought out, I think, just one or two boxes which I quickly went through. I can't be certain, but I think they were all the same price, something like 50 cents per card. It was a long time ago, and I'm not sure, but I do think that I paid 50 cents for this 1972 Topps Traded Frank Robinson.
1972 Topps Traded Frank Robinson
At the time, I knew that Frank Robinson was a member of the 500-home run club, and that he had been the MVP in both leagues. I knew of him as a member of the Reds and Orioles, and didn't know about his later playing history. I also didn't know that Topps had been doing Traded cards for so long -- I had some Topps Traded from the 80s, but didn't know that they dated back further. I was happy to snap up this card -- I remember going home to check the price in Beckett, and seeing that it was listed at something like $10 or more. Later, to complement this in my collection, I found somewhere the regular 1972 Topps Frank Robinson card; I'm sure I paid a regular, full price for that one, though.

1972 Topps Frank Robinson, in which he is still on the Orioles.

I have two other interesting cards which I remember getting at that consignment shop, and they'll be a subject of a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment