Saturday, August 19, 2017

From My Collection: 1975 Topps Bill Madlock

I have a soft spot in my heart for the near-Hall-of-Famers.  I have a bunch of 1970s and 1980s Topps league leader cards, and I remember Bill Madlock for showing up several times as the winner of the batting title.  According to Baseball Reference, he ended his career with 2008 hits, a .305 average, and 860 RBI.  He won four batting titles, was a three-time All-Star, and won the 1975 All-Star MVP.  It was a great career with many accomplishments, but it does seem short of the Hall of Fame.
1975 Topps Bill Madlock.
Although this card has the Topps All-Star Rookie trophy on it, it unfortunately isn't his rookie card -- I wonder if I knew that when I acquired it.  (Topps included Madlock in its 1974 set, on a Rookie Infielders card.)

My favorite thing about Bill Madlock is his contribution to the 1979 Pirates World Series championship.  On a team with Willie Stargell and Dave Parker, they still needed some shoring up of their offense, and traded for him mid-season.  It was Madlock's only World Series, and he hit .375 in it.  I have the 1979 World Series on DVD and watch it every now then -- I think it's clear that the Orioles are actually the better team, but the Pirates rose to the occasion and got great performances from key players at the right time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment