Friday, December 22, 2017

From My Collection: 1988 Donruss Pop-Ups

I've made a series of posts on the Donruss All-Star cards (the oversized ones, from the 1984 set, and from the 1985 set, and from the 1987 set).  I haven't featured any of the Pop-Ups that came with them yet, and I also haven't posted the 1986 oversized All-Stars yet.  Starting in 1988, there was a shift to regular-sized All-Star cards, and these also came with Pop-Ups.  Here we feature a handful of the 1988 Pop-Ups, which like the 1988 All-Stars, aren't oversized at all.
Andre Dawson.
Andre Dawson back.
The All-Star cards more or less feature All-Stars, but I don't think they keep a strict fidelity to members of the All-Star team for the preceding year (as I noted when discussing Harold Baines in the 1984 set).  The Pop-Ups, though, as far as I know, are of the starters for the All-Star team in the previous year.  Here we have Andre Dawson, future Hall-of-Famer and 1987 NL MVP.  As you see on the back, it does indicate that he was a starter, and hass a logo for the All-Star game, which had been in Oakland.
Eric Davis.
Eric Davis was young then, and a big star. He was one of several 30-30 players in 1987, with 37 home runs and 50 steals.
Ozzie Smith.
It was always fun to watch Ozzie Smith play.
Dave Winfield.
Dave Winfield was one of my favorites.  I remember him as much for his long feud with George Steinbrenner as for his 3000+ hits and 1800+ RBI.
Ryne Sandberg.
Ryne Sandberg was one of many players to come up from the Phillies' farm system and achieve greatness with another club.  He came back to the Phils to manage from 2013-2015, and it turns out he's not a good manager.  The story I heard was that it frustrated him greatly that the players weren't as good or as dedicated as he was during his playing days.
Terry Kennedy.
Finally, I'll close this out with Orioles catcher Terry Kennedy.  Kennedy played in the majors from 1978 through 1991 with the Cardinals, Padres, and Giants in addition to the O's, and was a four-time All-Star.  He was on the losing side of two World Series, with the Padres in 1984 and with the Giants in 1989. 

I have a few Pop-Ups from other years, too, and will show them before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment