Friday, February 23, 2018

My 1972 Topps Set Project, again

I made a blog mistake yesterday, accidentally pushing the "publish" button as I was drafting my post about my project to determine how close I am to having a complete set of 1988 Topps.  This bumped down my post about my 1972 Topps set project, so I thought I'd post some more 1972 Topps cards today, some recently acquired, and some which have been in my collection for many years.

To recap, I started working towards a complete 1972 Topps set this past October.  I'm hoping to finish in 2019, although I understand the high numbers are difficult.  I'm currently at 240/787 cards, or 30.50%.  So far, so good.

Now, some more cards.
Skip Lockwood.
Don Baylor, Roric Harrison, and Johnny Oates.
Brewers pitcher Skip Lockwood is the only non-star from 1972 that I had in my collection before I started trying to collect the whole set.  The card is a little beat up and a little off-center.  That's fine.  Lockwood pitched in the majors between 1965 and 1980, including with the Kansas City A's and the Seattle Pilots.  His career record was 57-97 with 68 saves.

This Don Baylor/Orioles Rookies card has also been in my collection since circa 1990, and it would be even better if it were Don Baylor's rookie card.  But, alas, he was also featured in the 1971 set.  No problem, though, it's always good to have a Don Baylor card.  I've posted about Johnny Oates a few times, since I remember him as Orioles manager back when I was in school.  Roric Harrison pitched to a career 30-35 record for the Orioles, Braves, Indians, and Twins between 1972 and 1978.
Greg Luzinski.
Ron Reed.
Then we have these guys, Greg Luzinski and Ron Reed, two members of the 1980 World Champion Phillies.  Luzinski was a second slugger for the team, whose career numbers are 307 home runs and 1128 RBI (the main slugger, of course, being Mike Schmidt).  Pitcher Ron Reed was in the Phillies' bullpen, pitching in 55 games in the 1980 regular season, finishing 29 of them.  Reed was a two-sport guy, also playing in the NBA at the start of his MLB career.
1971 NL Victory Leaders.
Tom Seaver, In Action.
In 1971, Fergie Jenkins led the NL with 24 wins, and Steve Carlton, Al Downing, and Tom Seaver all tied for second with 20.  Carlton was frequently compared to Nolan Ryan because of all the strikeouts the two produced, but Carlton insisted that Tom Seaver was his real competition.  Downing is the only one of these four not enshrined in Cooperstown; 1971 was his best year by far.  I think that this Tom Seaver In Action card has been in my collection for these past 25 years; the pitching leaders card is new to me.
Billy Martin, In Action.
Jim Fregosi.
Then we have Billy Martin on a managerial In Action card.  I showed a selection of Martin cards once before, including his famous "middle finger" 1972 Topps card.  Jim Fregosi of course was a long-time player, but I remember him better as manager of the Phillies, winning the 1993 pennant with the Phils, and on a 1987 Topps card with the White Sox.  I've posted some Fregosi cards before, too.  This Martin and this Fregosi are both recent acquisitions, while the "middle finger" card has been in my collection for many years.

So, that's it for showing some 1972 cards, again, for now.  I'll post updates on my progress towards the set every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment