Thursday, January 4, 2018

Recent Acquisitions: Five 1962 Post Cards (Bruton, Killebrew, Clemente, Roberts, Ashburn)

I recently purchased five cards from the 1962 Post set.  As I mentioned in my last post, at this point in my life as a collector, I am interested in representing different sets in my collection rather than collecting the whole sets.  These five cards from 1962 Post are enough to accomplish that goal, while adding cards of some favorite players.
Bill Bruton.
One of my favorite cards is my 1953 Topps Bill Bruton, which I pulled from a "grab bag" at Stale Gum, the local card shop in Newark, DE in the mid-1980s.  Bruton is a fellow Delawarean, and was a prolific base stealer in his day.  It's nice to have a second card of him.
Harmon Killebrew.
I mentioned in the previous post that I always appreciated Harmon Killebrew as one of the few players to have more home runs than Mike Schmidt.  When Schmidt retired, that list was just Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Harmon Killebrew, and Reggie Jackson.  In the post-steroids era the current all-time home run list is meaningless to me, but those older guys were the real thing.
Roberto Clemente.
Here we have another Clemente card, which I appreciate for calling him Roberto, not Bob.  He was something special, and it's nice to have a card from early in his career.  He had 1,062 career hits when this card was printed, about 1/3 of his career total of 3,000.
Robin Roberts.
I write a lot about Robin Roberts and Richie Ashburn, since they were Dad's favorites when he was little.  It's nice to add more cards of them, and this Roberts is even when he was still with the Phillies.  The card does note that his contract was sold to the Yankees, but I like that it shows him in a Phillies hat, unlike his 1962 Topps.
Richie Ashburn.
The Ashburn, by contrast, is after he left the Phils and moved to the Cubs; he was traded in January, 1960.  My only other good Ashburn card is the 1951 Bowman I bought in November.  Otherwise, all I have of Ashburn are things like Pacific cards.

I really couldn't be happier with these 5 cards, both so that the old Post cards are now something I have in my collection, and to buttress my small collections of these 5 players.  For cards from the early 60s of some great players, these Post cards were really quite affordable, too.

1 comment:

  1. Great cards! Affordability is one of the reasons why I love the Post cards so much, as even the biggest names (Aaron, Clemente, Mantle, etc.) can be had for a fraction of their Topps counterparts.

    ReplyDelete