Thursday, March 1, 2018

Recent Acquisitions: Four from 1971 Topps

I like the 1971 Topps set quite a bit, and I have some of the stars.  I recently expanded my collection with four more.
Willie Mays.
I showed my recently-acquired 1972 Topps Willie Mays cards (regular + in action) in my post about my project to collect a 1972 Topps set.  The 1972 cards are the only good Topps cards I have of Mays, with the other good card I have being a cut-out from a box of Nabisco Team Flakes.  I want more of him, and cards near the end of the career are cheaper, so here we have Mays in the 1971 set.
Curt Flood.
Curt Flood card back.
Curt Flood did a lot of good for players, at great personal cost, by standing up for his labor rights.  This card commemorates that more than any other, showing his zero games played on the card back.  I also acquired a card of a younger Flood last summer
Manny Sanguillen.
This nice Manny Sanguillen, presumably signing an autograph for a fan, goes in the player collection.  Sanguillen has autographed cards in the recent 2017 Topps Archives, but I can't decide if I want to go after one.
Steve Carlton.
Finally, we have this lanky fellow, Steve Carlton, master of the slider.  This is my first card of Carlton with the Cardinals, and is therefore my oldest card of him.  Carlton is widely respected in the Philly area but isn't as beloved as Mike Schmidt, so I don't think his cards had the same kind of local premium as Schmidt's did in the 80s.  As a result, while I didn't have any Schmidt cards from the 70s when I was growing up, I did have a handful of Carlton, all with the Phillies.  As part of my 1972 Topps set project, I'm looking forward to getting both his regular card (with the Cardinals) and the Traded version, his first card with the Phillies.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment