Monday, October 29, 2018

1990 Topps Minis #24: Don Mattingly

We're just over 1/4 of the way through the complete 1990 Topps Mini League Leaders set, which puts us about halfway through the AL.  Today we have card #24 Don Mattingly, so we've started New York (AL).  These are organized alphabetically by the geographic signifier in the team name, so we're also halfway through the AL as far as the alphabet goes.
#24, Don Mattingly.
I've posted a number of Don Mattingly cards.  He was an absolutely dominant hitter for a few years, and those years happen to be some of my most formative baseball-watching years.  I started entering my collection into Trading Card Database and stopped, but I did get about 16,000 cards in.  And their stats show that of the cards I entered, Mattingly is the 6th most frequent player I have.  If I entered all the rest of my cards I suspect his rank would increase.
Don Mattingly card back.
Mattingly earned his way into this league leader set by finishing second in the AL in RBI with 113.  He also was #6 in doubles, #7 in at-bats, #7 in slugging, and #8 in hits.  It turns out that 1989 was his last All-Star season and his last 100-RBI season.  He did have some decent years after but it just wasn't the same.

Thanks for reading!  Next up in the series is a fellow Yankee, Steve Sax.

No comments:

Post a Comment