Friday, November 17, 2017

Rest in Peace, Bobby Doerr

The news the other day was that Bobby Doerr has died at age 99.  I remember his making the Hall of Fame, via the veterans committee, in 1986.  That led to his honorary captaincy of the 1988 AL All-Star Team, and this Topps card:
Bobby Doerr.
Of course, this is one of the Topps glossy rack pack All-Star cards.  I have several of these, and a handful of the related rookie cards, but naturally I bought many more wax packs than rack or cello packs.

I can only find one more Bobby Doerr card in my collection, this 1988 Pacific Baseball Legends card:
Bobby Doerr.
Doerr played with the Red Sox from 1937-1944, was in the Army in 1945, and was again with the Red Sox from 1946-1951.  He was a 9-time All-Star, with a career .288 average with 2,042 hits and 1,247 RBI, and was considered a great defensive second baseman.  May he rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. MLB needs to bring back honorary captains for the All-Star game.

    ReplyDelete