Saturday, December 15, 2018

Five pickups from the 80s

Since I spent a bunch of this year posting infrequently, I haven't featured many cards from my Spring Cleaning COMC box.  And now I've received my Black Friday COMC box, too.  So, putting those together, I have a few cards that group together thematically as personal favorites from the 80s.
1980 Burger King Omar Moreno.
1980 Burger King Don Baylor.
I decided not to get the whole 1980 Burger King Pitch, Hit, Run set, but I also decided to get just a couple more of them.  Omar Moreno was of course part of the 1979 championship Pirates, as their leadoff hitter and leading base stealer.  Watching the 1979 World Series, his wife was well known for using a whistle when he was up.  Howard Cosell commented on Mrs. Moreno, and the other wives, a fair bit.  And then I picked up Don Baylor as well.  I'm always happy to have another Don Baylor card.  I think I will get just a couple more from this set.
1984 Donruss Gary Matthews.
1985 Fleer Steve Carlton.
Then I got a couple of mid-80s Phillies.  I wish I remembered Gary Matthews, or Sarge, playing with the Phils.  I wasn't paying attention when the Phillies won the 1983 pennant, and Matthews was only with them from 1981 through 1983.  Steve Carlton was near the end of his career here; he went 1-8 in 1985, and parted ways with the Phillies in 1986.  He didn't go out as gracefully as Mike Schmidt, unfortunately.
1985 Donruss Darryl Strawberry.
And then I wanted this one of young Darryl Strawberry.  I've given a bunch of odd issues of Strawberry and Gooden, and a couple other Mets, to my friend the Mets fan at work.  I thought I would get a new-to-me Strawberry for myself, especially from early in his career.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment