Monday, June 3, 2019

Some recent oversized pickups

I do have a soft spot for oversized cards.  In a recent COMC box (or maybe not so recent, I'm behind on posting, really), I had a few oversized cards included.  Here they are.
Jay Publishing Bill Bruton.
Jay Publishing Junior Gilliam.
Bill Bruton is one of my favorite 1950s-era players.  It all started for me when in the mid-80s I pulled my 1953 Topps Bruton card from a "grab bag" at Stale Gum, what was then the local card shop in Newark, DE.  Bruton was a fellow Delawarean, one of MLB's early black players, and a base-stealing champ.  I posted a Jim Gilliam card, one of the first 1955 Bowman cards I picked up, a little while ago.  Gilliam was a mainstay of the Dodgers champions of the 50s and 60s.  These two are both from Jay Publishing, which I had never heard of until receiving one of their cards, or "cards," really since they're more like glossy photos, as a throw-in on an eBay purchase.  I blogged about that at the time.
Smokey Bear Brian Downing.
Cigna Phillies Glenn Wilson.
Then we have a Smokey Bear fire prevention card of Brian Downing.  I picked up my first two Smokey cards a while ago, a John Candelaria with the Angels, and a Tony Pena with the Cardinals.  I probably won't get any more, but I got this one because I did appreciate the talent on the mid-80s Angels.  Then we have a Cigna police set card of outfielder Glenn Wilson, who I saw play a number of times at the Vet at games with my dad.  Wilson went to Seattle after that and was unhappy there, then came back east with Pittsburgh.  He later played with Houston before finishing his career with a second stint with the Bucs.  I've shown the Garry Maddox and the Mike Schmidt cards from the Cigna Phillies police set before.

In terms of size, it doesn't all come across here, but the Cigna Phillies card is a little bigger than a standard card, then next is the Smokey Bear Brian Downing, and the Bruton and Gilliam Jay Publishing are the biggest.  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I recently acquired a whole bunch of the Jay Publishing Dodgers. No exaggeration when I say there are about 15 different photos of Gilliam.

    ReplyDelete