Saturday, September 2, 2017

From My Collection: Bob Walk Rookie Card

I was a Pirates fan during their early 1990s playoff run, and Bob Walk was a staple of their starting rotation in those years (although he did sometimes pitch relief, especially in 1992).  I said before that the Phillies 1980 World Series championship was one of my earliest memories, but what I really remember is people being happy that the Phillies won.  Any details of the games, I learned afterwards.  I think I was watching a Pirates game with Walk pitching one day when my mom mentioned that Bob Walk was in the World Series with the Phillies.  Lo and behold, he started -- and won -- Game 1 of the 1980 World Series, as a rookie.
1981 Topps Bob Walk rookie card.
In his World Series win, he pitched 7 innings and gave up 6 earned runs.  Not a quality start, but enough to help the Phillies to a 7-6 win.  These days, I am fortunate to live in the Pirates cable TV territory, and I listen to Walk as one of the color commentators for AT&T Sportsnet Pittsburgh (the former Root Pittsburgh).


No comments:

Post a Comment