Monday, September 11, 2017

Rest in Peace, Gene Michael (+ 1972 In Action Card)

The recent sad news was that baseball veteran Gene Michael died.  My first memory of Gene Michael is his card as manager of the Cubs in the 1987 Topps set.  But of course, as many other people have said since his passing, he was really most associated with the Yankees, including setting the stage for their 1990s World Series winners as GM from 1991-1995.  Other than the 1987 Topps manager card, which I won't dig out since I think everyone has seen it, the only card of Michael I know I have is this, his 1972 Topps In Action card:

1972 Topps Gene Michael In Action card.
To be honest, I am not certain which guy in the card he is, but my guess is that he's the infielder on the left.  Michael was with the Yankees in 1971, and the fielders here look like they could be Yankees, and I don't think the runner's uniform is a Yankee uniform.  And I assume that the fielder more central to the action would be the subject of the card, so that's the guy on the left.  May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment