Sunday, December 24, 2017

Sets in My Collection: 1988 Topps Toys'R'Us Rookies

For the majority of the boxed sets in my collection, I have the box, and store the cards in it.  For a handful of them the box was destroyed long ago.  In 1988, when this set came out, I was 12 years old, and even though I was trying to take care of my cards at that point, there were some casualties, including the box for the set.  So, I'll just show a handful of the cards.

Most of the 80s boxed sets feature, more or less, the same usual star players.  This being a set of rookies, instead there are many more players that I don't remember, with a few that did make a genuine mark on the game at the time.  I have chosen 7 cards at random to feature, rather than think too much on who to write about from the set.
Devon White.
First up, Devon White.  He was one of what felt like a thousand who had a rookie card in the 1987 Topps set.  He had a long career, playing until 2001, and winning three World Series (two with the Blue Jays and one with the Marlins).
Mike Stanley.
Mike Stanley is someone I don't think I've ever heard of, although since he played back then, I surely have many of his cards.  Like White, he had a reasonably long career, playing until 2000, with a number of teams.  He was once an All-Star and once won a Silver Slugger.
Billy Ripken.
Billy Ripken is famous for two things: being a Ripken, and his 1989 Fleer card.  Looking him up now, I'm shocked to see that he lasted as long as he did in the majors, playing until 1998.  He finished with a career .247 average and 229 career RBI.
John Marzano.
John Marzano is, again, someone I've never heard of.  He was in the majors 1987-1998, with the Red Sox, Rangers, and Mariners.  He compiled a career .241 average with 72 career RBI.  He's a Philadelphian, attended Temple University, and was on the 1984 Olympic team.
Randy Myers.
Like Devon White and Billy Ripken, Randy Myers is someone I remember!  And like Devon White (and unlike Billy Ripken), it's for his playing.  He was a star relief pitcher, and won the World Series with the Reds in 1990.  Between 1985 and 1998, he saved 347 games.
Mike Greenwell.
Mike Greenwell I remember too, for his 1987 Topps rookie card.  I didn't follow the Red Sox, though, so I don't remember much about how he turned out.  He spent his whole MLB career with the Sox, from 1985-1996, and then played briefly in Japan.  He compiled a career average of .303.
David Cone.
Finally we have David Cone, who again, I of course remember.  Cone ended up winning 5 World Series, with the Blue Jays and Yankees.

Summing up, I'm surprised that selecting these 7 cards at random only yielded 2 that I don't remember at all, and 4 that I remember for being star players.

No comments:

Post a Comment