Saturday, February 24, 2018

Oversized in My Collection: 1987 Donruss Pop-Ups + Some Unopened '86, '87

I've spent the past several Saturdays highlighting the oversized 1986 Donruss All-Stars and Pop-Ups.  Before that, I showed all I had of the 1984, 1985, and 1987 All-Stars, which were similarly oversized.  As one final post in this vein, today I'm showing the only three Pop-Ups I have from 1987.  After 1987, Donruss kept making All-Stars and Pop-Ups, but they were no longer oversized.
Darryl Strawberry.
These 1987 Pop-Ups commemorate the starting lineup of the 1986 All-Star Game, which was held at the Astrodome in Houston.  The previous year's Pop-Ups showed a similar background, since the 1985 All-Star Game was held at the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

Darryl Strawberry was the starting right-fielder for the NL.  He got two at-bats, striking out off Roger Clemens in the second, and hitting a single off Teddy Higuera in the fifth.  He and Mike Schmidt were left on base.
Dale Murphy.
Dale Murphy was the starting center fielder for the NL.  He went 0-for-2 in the game.  This was his 6th of 7 career All-Star appearances.  In the 1986 season, Murphy hit 29 home runs and had 87 RBI, which was a bit off his usual pace at the time.
Wally Joyner.
For the AL, rookie Wally Joyner of the Angels started at first base.  Joyner had one of the best years of his career in his first season, 1986, with a .290 batting average, 22 home runs, and 100 RBI.  It was his only All-Star appearance.  He went 0-for-1 in the game, as the AL went on to win 3-2.
5 unopened packs of 1987 Donruss All-Stars and Pop-Ups.
In addition to the 1987 All-Stars I showed before, and these 1987 Pop-Ups, I have 5 unopened packs.  Each pack contains 1 Pop-Up and 3 of the All-Star cards.  Since I posted 9 of the All-Stars and I have 3 of the Pop-Ups, it looks like I opened 3 of the packs, so I must have bought 8 originally.  I would sometimes leave some packs unopened, to be part of my unopened pack collection.
5 unopened packs of 1986 Donruss All-Stars and Pop-Ups.
Similarly, I have 5 unopened packs from the 1986 All-Stars and Pop-Ups.  For these, I am sure I bought a whole box.  For one, I have 31 of the Pop-Ups, so with these 5 packs, that makes 36, which is probably how many were in a box.  For another, as I showed with my Cecil Cooper, I have some 1986 Donruss box bottom cut-outs.  I certainly didn't buy a box of the regular 1986 Donruss cards, so the box bottoms must have been from this.  I must have stopped opening them once I got a complete set.

I only have a couple more posts on oversized cards coming up -- a couple more Saturdays will do it.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment