Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Two of Dick Allen

I have a lot of cards I've bought over the past year or so which I haven't yet blogged.  I went through my main binder this morning and pulled a bunch of them out, and it's mostly easy to make some natural groupings of them into posts.  Like today, we have two cards of Dick Allen that I bought for my main binder.  To my mind, Allen is the best player who isn't in the Hall of Fame but should be.
1973 Topps Home Run Leaders.
When I resumed collecting a couple of years ago, one of the first cards that I bought was the 1974 Topps Dick Allen.  He was with the White Sox then, as he is here in this home run leaders card.  In the 80s I knew of him as a former Phillie great.  He was in his prime here with the Sox, not only hitting hard, but also sporting a great 1970s look.  Part of why I chose this card is that I already have a couple solo cards of Allen (I have posted his 1974 and 1976 before), but I didn't have any of the 1973 set's league leader cards.  As a plus, Allen and Bench were not only the home run leaders in the two leagues, but also won the MVP awards in 1972.
1968 Topps Game Dick Allen.
So, for another card, I picked one of Allen in his youth with the Phillies (the 1976 Topps card that I have is towards the end of his career, when he's back with the Phillies).  I'm also always happy to have more of the 1968 Topps Game cards; back in the 80s/90s, I only had one, Jim Fregosi.  Then I recently picked up the Roberto Clemente as well.  So I have three from the set overall.

I look forward to catching up on blogging, now that a few things have settled down at home and at work.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment