Saturday, August 12, 2017

From My Collection: 1982 Fleer Cal Ripken, Jr. Rookie Card

Although I started seriously collecting in 1987, I had some older cards already.  I think the oldest cards I had would be a handful from 1979, and I think I had a few from each year after that.  When I did start paying attention to my cards, I went and looked to see what I had among my old cards.
1982 Fleer Cal Ripken, Jr. Rookie Card.  You can see multiple creases on the card.
I remember looking in particular to see if I had a Cal Ripken, Jr. rookie card.  I had a bunch of Topps and a few Fleer, and did find one among my Fleer cards.  I think those old cards lived mainly on my bedroom floor, so it's no surprise that it's pretty beat up.  The picture shows multiple creases.  After I discovered it in 1987, I put it in a binder, where it's been ever since.  I was happy to have it despite its condition, though, and at the time it would have been a lot to afford a new one.  It would be easy enough to buy a replacement in better shape now -- they seem to start around $10.  But this one, with all its creases, is my card.

3 comments:

  1. It's so cool that you hang on to this beat-up card. I started collecting in 1968 and have beat-up Willie Mays and Hank Aaron cards from the first days of my collecting. Although finding a replacement for these cards might cost more than the $10 you would spend to replace the 1982 Cal Ripken Jr. Fleer card, I still consider these beat-up Mays and Aaron cards as my cards and will likely never replace them. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few older beat-up cards I acquired along the way, too, like a 1969 Bob Gibson. I'll make a post about that someday. When I got it, I was glad to have it in any condition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember having 1982 Fleer cards in particular spread out all over my bedroom floor, too. Fleer was great for that because they were numbered by team, and you could set things up by division. Fun times ... thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete