Thursday, September 14, 2017

A Surprise Autograph: Larry Bowa

I recently looked through my older Topps cards (1980 and older), and in my 1978 cards, I found this autographed Larry Bowa.  I had thought that all of my autographed cards were in my binder, but I guess not. 
Autographed 1978 Topps Larry Bowa.
When I was going to baseball card shows with my dad in the Philadelphia area in the late 80s/early 90s, it was very common for some Phillies, either current or former, to be there signing autographs.  The ones that I knew I had were Granny Hamner, Lenny Dykstra, Mickey Morandini, Ken Howell, a different Larry Bowa card, and the best Phillies autographs I have, Robin Roberts and Steve Carlton.  For non-Phillies, my autograph collection is Brooks Robinson, Gregg Olson, Whitey Ford, and Billy Herman.

I'm happy to have Bowa's autograph, although one might have been sufficient.  Bowa was an important part of the Phillies World Championship team in 1980, as the starting shortstop; he hit .375 in the Series.  He was with the Phillies for over ten years, then with the Cubs and Mets briefly.  I remember him for having a card as manager of the Padres in the 1987 Topps set, but he was later Phillies manager for a bit longer, from 2001-2004.  He was a five-time All-Star, a two-time Gold Glove winner, and won Manager of the Year once.  I remember his time as Phillies manager as being tumultuous, but don't remember the details, exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment