Friday, September 15, 2017

Unopened in My Collection: 1992 Topps McDonald's Baseball's Best

Everyone was getting in on baseball cards by 1992, including McDonalds.  I opened a few packs of these, but left these two unopened.  I don't know what you had to do to get the cards, probably buy a combo meal and pay a few dollars. 
Two packs of 1992 McDonalds cards, with Eric Karros and Chito Martinez showing.
These two packs have Eric Karros of the Dodgers and Chito Martinez of the Orioles showing. I don't remember either player, so I had to look them up.  Karros was the 1992 NL Rookie of the Year, and had a 14-year career mainly with the Dodgers, but also later with the Cubs and the A's, with 284 career home runs and 1,027 career RBI.  Martinez was the first MLB player from Belize (according to Wikipedia), was the first Oriole to have a hit in his first six MLB games (according to Wikipedia), and was out of the majors by 1993.

The backs of the packs show Cecil Fielder and Rickey Henderson.
The backs of the packs have some more star power, with Cecil Fielder and Rickey Henderson.  Henderson is one of my favorite players of all time; he gets criticized for things like saying that he was the greatest, but I don't mind, because he was indeed the greatest.  Fielder came as a bit of a surprise in the majors at the time I guess, having played in Japan before really hitting it big.  Someone asked me once if I had any Cecil Fielder cards, when he was starting to be known, and I said I didn't know but I would check.  I think I was starting to let my attention drift to comic books rather than to baseball.

Back when these came out, some of my good friends worked at McDonalds.  They told me the manager kept them locked up, and would go to get them himself if anyone bought them.  Baseball cards were hot at the time, and they were afraid they would be stolen if they were left out anywhere.  A quick glance at ebay seems to indicate that value for these have held up a little better than some other cards from 1992.

1 comment:

  1. Eric Karros is one of my favorite "short term" Cubs of all-time; he really seemed to enjoy his time in Chicago too. At any rate, it's probably a good thing for my health that McD's doesn't have baseball card promotions anymore, especially since these black-bordered beauties are quite slick!

    ReplyDelete