Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Unopened in My Collection: Stickers (Fleer, Topps, Panini)

I know that when I was collecting from 1987-1994, I would look through magazine ads all the time, sometimes finding a bargain.  This usually meant finding a dealer who was looking to get rid of their stock of an offbeat set, like the Donruss All-Stars/Pop-Ups, or the Fleer Star Stickers.  I know that I ordered (through the mail, as was the fashion at the time) at least one wax box of star stickers, and maybe more than one.
Unopened 1987 Fleer Star Stickers.
I have a lot of 1988 Fleer Star Stickers in my collection; maybe I opened a whole box of them.  I have a bunch of unopened packs of the 1987 Fleer Star Stickers, though.  I can't say whether I bought a whole box or not, but I'm glad I have these.  While I did buy many, many base set cards in various forms in those junk wax years, I think these offshoots have turned out to be more interesting.
Unopened 1988 Topps and 1989 Panini album stickers.
I was never a fan of album stickers.  At least a few times as a kid, before I started seriously collecting, I would get the album and a few packs of stickers.  I would immediately become frustrated at how impossible it seemed to complete the album.  So, I gave up trying anything like that.  I know that I do have a complete set of the Topps Superstar cards that are on the back of the stickers, I think from 1988 (they did this in 1989 and 1990 too).  I'm not sure if I get the set by opening packs, or by buying a complete set; I seem to remember opening a bunch of packs, though, so I probably completed it that way.  I'm not sure why I have these unopened Panini stickers -- for the Topps stickers, it was the Superstar cards that were the draw for me, not the stickers.  The Panini stickers must have just been a throw-in on some other purchase, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment