Friday, August 17, 2018

Four from 1956

I liked the odd issues back in the 80s and early 90s, like Fleer Star Stickers, Donruss Action All-Stars, Topps Coins, Topps Mini League Leaders, and on and on. Including Topps Big. Also, I've noticed that every time someone hits home runs in a few games in a row, the announcers start talking about Dale Long. Now, this might in part be because I usually watch Pirates games, and Long was a Pirate when he set the record for most consecutive games with a home run, with 8 in 1956. So, I thought it would be nice to get a card of Long, and I thought it would be nice to get some 1956 Topps, which were clearly the kind of set that Topps Big was referencing. So in my recent COMC box, I got 4 from the 1956 set.
Dale Long.
Long played for the Pirates, Browns, Pirates again, Cubs, Giants, Yankees, Senators, and Yankees again, in his career spanning 1951 to 1963. He had 132 career home runs, so those 8 notable home runs with the Bucs in 1956 made up more than 5% of his career total.
Andy Seminick.
I didn't want to get just one 1956 Topps card, so I thought I'd get a few more of players that I had heard of, but that wouldn't be very expensive.  I looked through the 1956 Phillies, and decided to get this one of catcher Andy Seminick.  He was with the Phils 1949-1951, so he was one of the Whiz Kids.  Then he played for the Reds (and the Redlegs, as they called them at the height of the Red Scare), and again for the Phils from 1955-1957.  One collection goal for my renewed collecting is to get some of the Whiz Kids into my collection, in honor of Dad, who watched them as a kid.  So Andy Seminick here furthers that goal.
Roy Face.
Roy Face is one of the pitchers who helped the Bucs return to greatness, ending a 35-year World Series drought between 1925 and 1960.  Face pitched in four games in the 1960 World Series, earning 3 saves.
Alvin Dark.
This card of Al Dark serves two purposes in my collection: it's my first card (other than nostalgia varieties like Baseball Immortals) of a New York Giants player.  And, since I was for a time in the 80s and 90s a fan of the A's, it represents in a way the early 70s A's dynasty, since Dark managed them to their third consecutive championship in 1974.  Dark took over after Dick Williams led the A's to victory in 1972 and 1973 and then resigned, tired of working for Charlie Finley. 

I love this design and these cards, and it's nice to have some of the originals which inspired the Topps Big sets.  I may pick up a few more inexpensive players from the set.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment