Saturday, December 29, 2018

My 1993 Post cards

I've posted the 1990, 1991, and 1994 Post Cereal cards that I pulled from cereal boxes when I was a teenager in the 90s.  That just leaves 1993 (I guess we didn't buy any of the right cereals in 1992).  These came three cards to a pack, and for 1991, 1992, and 1994, I have three cards each, so we must have had one box of Post cereal each of those years, during the baseball card promotion at least.  For 1993, I have six cards -- three opened, and one unopened pack.  So we bought twice as much Post cereal that year.
1993 Post Bobby Bonilla.
Bobby Bonilla was a favorite of mine with the Pirates, as one-third of the offensive core of the 1990 and 1991 division winners, along with Andy Van Slyke and Barry Bonds.  Bonilla didn't stick around for the third consecutive division win by the Bucs, and signed as a free agent with the Mets in December 1991.  Of course in his time with the Mets, he's most famous for his contract buy-out, for which he's still getting paid.
1993 Post Juan Gonzalez.
1993 Post Dave Fleming.
Juan Gonzalez had a long career, from 1989 through 2005, with the Rangers, Tigers, Indians, and Royals, racking up 434 home runs and 1404 RBI.  Despite being a prominent player of the day, I barely remember him, which I can attribute to the fact that he played in the AL for teams that didn't make the postseason during the years I was watching baseball.  Gonzalez is in the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame.  Dave Fleming, listed here as a Rookie Star with the Mariners, is someone I don't remember at all.  Like most Rookie Stars, his career didn't go all that far, as he was out of the majors after the 1995 season.  Fleming put up a career 38-32 record with a 4.67 ERA.  Wikipedia says that Fleming currently teaches 5th grade.
Unopened 1993 Post Roger Clemens.
Unopened 1993 Post Don Mattingly card back.
Then I have an unopened pack.  There are three cards, with the front card and back card showing.  I've got Roger Clemens and Don Mattingly from this pack, two players who appeared in absolutely every small set of this era.  I have some curiosity as to who is on the card between these two, but I would rather allow the pack to remain in its unopened state than find out the contents.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment