Tuesday, January 8, 2019

My Slurpee discs: 1985, 1986, 1991

7-Eleven and Slurpees were a big part of my childhood.  The house we lived in from the time I was under a year old until I was 13 had a 7-Eleven down the end of the street.  Many snacks, and many baseball cards, were purchased there by all of us neighborhood kids, since we could ride our bikes or walk there from a pretty young age. 
Eddie Murray.
Steve Carlton.
I posted a week or so ago the 1982 Slurpee cups checklist that I bought on eBay just recently; I definitely had some of those cups back then, but they went by the wayside at some point.  Cups were not the only Slurpee-related baseball collectible of course, and I also have a handful of the old Slurpee discs.  I almost certainly had more of these back in the day, and these are just survivors that made it beyond the floor of my childhood room and into my collection when I started taking care of baseball collectibles years later.  These two, of Eddie Murray and Steve Carlton, are from the 1985 edition of the Slurpee discs.  They were both local favorites since I grew up halfway between Baltimor and Philadelphia.  The Phillies were more favored by everyone in town, but Dad and I did go to Orioles games sometimes, too.
Reardon, Righetti, Stanley.
Triple Stars disc back.
I have just one from 1986, this Triple Stars of Bullpen Aces: Jeff Reardon of the Expos, Dave Righetti of the Yankees, and Bob Stanley of the Red Sox.  The stats line on back just gives career numbers, with 127 saves for Reardon, 61 for Righetti, and 107 for Stanley.  Righetti of course was about to have a good year at that, significantly increasing his total by setting the record with 46 saves in 1986.  That mark of 46, of course, didn't stand for long, and has now been surpassed many times.
Roberto Kelly.
Dwight Gooden.
I don't have all years represented -- it looks like there were Slurpee discs in 1984 and in 1987 that I don't have any of.  Then there was a gap, and I have two from 1991: Roberto Kelly and Dwight Gooden.  I didn't scan the backs, but they show the Score logo.  As you can see on the 1986 back above, there was no branding.  But by 1991, Score was a major brand that the company behind Sportflics and Score had developed, so they might as well put that on all the baseball stuff they were making.  Gooden had issues by then of course but had a strong 1990, going 19-7 with 223 strikeouts.  Roberto Kelly had some buzz as a rookie, batting .302 in 1989, and stayed a good hitter through a solid career, finishing with a .290 average after 14 seasons.

In a future post, I'll go through the rest of my Slurpee discs, all of which are from 1992.  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Definitely brings back memories. How do you store these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plastic boxes for cards that I bought at The Container Store. One of these has most of my oddballs. I have a stack of these in that box, between some of the other odd cards.

      Delete