Saturday, March 30, 2019

Thanks, Night Owl!

A while ago, Night Owl put up his wantlist for 1982 Fleer.  I had opened a few packs in the early days of this blog, and had some from my original collection as well, and sent a few dozen cards his way.  He returned the favor, and here are the Phillies and one Pirate I got in exchange.
When he asked what I wanted in return, I first thought about the overwhelming bulk of my collection, and said that I'd like any pre-1994 Phillies and Pirates oddballs he might have to spare.  But then I thought about what complements my collection, and asked for some modern cards, since I have almost no modern cards.  I asked in particular for whatever he could send to commemorate the 2008 Phillies World Series winning team in my collection.  And here we have them: Hamels, Victorino, Rollins, Howard.
And another Rollins, and Utley, Ruiz, and Burrell.  I grew up in the Philadelphia region, in Delaware, which could be considered far suburbs of Philly.  I went to college in Pittsburgh, grad school in North Carolina, and then worked in New York and then South Carolina.  Then I took a job in Philly starting in fall 2008.  I moved back home just in time to see these guys win it all.  It was a great time, and I'm glad I have them in my collection now.
Night Owl took care of both of my requests, as this TCMA Wes Covington and SSPC Johnny Oates show.  Interestingly, I posted a different TCMA Wes Covington not long ago, of him with the Braves.  The main things I know about Johnny Oates are that he was the Orioles manager when I was in high school, and that he is one of the several players and managers that died of a similar brain cancer, including some other Phillies (Darren Daulton and Tug McGraw).
The lone Pirate in the haul is this Topps Big of Jose Lind.  I really liked those Topps Big sets back in the day, and I didn't have this one of Lind.
Then we have two Kellogg's cards, in various stages of beat-up condition, Dick Selma and Willie Montanez.  I think the Montanez is my favorite of all the cards Night Owl sent; I'm a sucker for Kellogg's.  The 1982-style Ryan Howard is probably the runner-up.  And the Ruiz with the rookie cup is awesome.
Finally, there were a handful more.  I don't have the stamina to write about all these guys, but I sure appreciate the cards.  So, thanks Night Owl!  And thanks, everyone, for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I'm with you in that I'm also a sucker for Kellogg's cards. The rest of those cards are pretty cool, too. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're most welcome. The 2008 Phillies remind me of starting a blog!

    ReplyDelete