Monday, April 15, 2019

Another 1955 Bowman card: Billy Loes

When I posted my newly-acquired 1955 Bowman Mickey Mantle in my last post, I got a few comments that the high numbers in the set can be tough.  So I looked through COMC to see, of the first few dozen of the high numbers, what seemed the toughest, at least as far as COMC is concerned.
Billy Loes.
The worst I saw, of the ones I looked at, was card #240, Billy Loes of the Brooklyn Dodgers.  The current situation is that there are 3 cards, one for $165, one for $82, and one for $52.  I think this has changed from when I first looked, though -- I think there were only two, and they were both around $150 then.  These are all listed from Dean's Cards, which I'm aware can be a bit expensive.  But it was worrying that Dean's was the only one listing this card on COMC.  So I head over to eBay.  There was one cheap listing for the card, with no Buy It Now option.  I bid on the auction, and did win it after three and a half days, for $7.51 plus shipping.  Sure beats paying over $100.
Billy Loes card back.
So, this one particular high number is marked off my list.  A bunch more to go.  For the whole set, I'm now at 85 cards out of 320.

Let's say something now about our subject, Billy Loes.  He pitched for Brooklyn from 1950 through 1956, going 0-1 in their 1955 World Series win.  He then went to Baltimore from 1956 through 1959, and was an All-Star in 1957.  He closed out his career with San Francisco in 1960 and 1961.  Loes put together a career 80-63 record with a 3.89 ERA.

Thanks for reading!  Work continues to be busy, but I do hope to be able to post from time to time.

2 comments:

  1. COMC is rarely the best place to buy vintage high numbers. Even during the big sales, the prices on there tend to be multiple times higher than eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking Loes card. Congrats on knocking off a high number for a great price. And a late congrats on the Mantle. I missed that post before tonight.

    ReplyDelete