Tuesday, August 8, 2017

First Post

Like many kids in the 1980s, I collected baseball cards.  I did so heavily starting in 1987.  My collection includes cards up until 1994, but I started to shift my focus to comic books at some point, so my collection is strongest in the 1987-1991 timeframe.  I lost interest in baseball at the time of the 1994 strike, and I've just been returning to watching baseball in the past few years.

But now, my family and I are getting ready to move into a new house, and along with this event, I am getting my baseball card collection organized.  My estimation of my collection is that it is about 30,000 cards.  Having gotten it ready for storage in our new basement, it's essentially archived.  Except for my album of best and favorite cards (which will stay upstairs, not in the basement), it's all encased in multiple layers of plastic, with the intention of making it difficult or impossible for any damp basement air to get into the cards.

My baseball card collection ready for storage, filling four 15-gallon Ziploc totes.


I hadn't bought a baseball card since 1994, and I didn't know what the current industry or market was like.  I googled "value of a baseball card collection," and found this great article, which gives a wonderful, and only slightly sad, description of finding out that your 1987-1994 baseball card collection is worthless.  I don't mind the lack of value, though -- I have some significant differences from the author of that article, especially in that I didn't buy all of my cards with the idea of them as an investment.  I bought my cards because I loved collecting them, going to card shows with my dad, and watching and learning about baseball.  This was the best part of my childhood.

I've decided to start this blog to share stories about some of my favorite cards, some of what I've learned about how absurd the late 80s/early 90s market for cards was, and what I'll focus on as I buy the occasional item with a view toward "completing" my collection.  Anyone who finds this is welcome to read, share, and participate, but the main audience I have in mind is that I would like my son, currently two years old, to someday read some of what I write here.


No comments:

Post a Comment