Friday, December 6, 2019

Closing in on my 1972 Topps set

Only nine cards left!  I am currently at 778 cards out of 787 for my 1972 Topps set; the remaining nine cards are all high numbers, naturally.  I won't list out the ones I need here because I don't want anyone sending me any cards -- I want to finish on my own.
Steve Garvey.
Jim Kaat In Action.
This feels really great; I always wanted to collect a vintage set.  Back circa 1990 I was working on a 1979 set and didn't get far.  With everyone focused on buying and selling the junk cards of the day and it being pre-internet, it was harder to come across large quantities of older cards.  So now it's easier, and I've done it (almost!).  While I'm sure it's easier, it's still taken me more than two years.

I was at about 40 cards needed recently, and then got to this point by putting some money into both COMC and eBay on Black Friday.  These two cards, Steve Garvey and an In Action card of Jim Kaat, arrived in the mail from an eBay seller yesterday.  I don't have definite plans as to when to knock out the last 9 cards, but I think I'll probably do it in January or February.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on all the progress you've made so far in completing the '72 Topps set. You're doing much better than I am--I'm still about 150 cards away from completing that set (which happens to be my favorite Topps design).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nicely done! I've only completed two sets from the '70s -- 1977 and 1978. The earlier years seem daunting to me, but I'd like to give one a try some day.

    ReplyDelete